Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Perception is Reality


Sadly I admit,
that your perception is reality,
albeit your reality,
but still reality.

If you see me a certain way,
that doesn't mean that
I am that mean person,
it just means that's how you see me.

I don't want you to see me that way;
I want you to know my intentions,
I want you to see both sides,
I want you to understand
who I am,
as I need
to be heard,
I need you to listen.

Perhaps as that youngest child
long ago
whose voice was unheard,
I need to find a way to be heard.

I need you to know
that I am working hard,
trying hard,
that my knowledge counts
as something.

I need you to see both sides.
Why is it that with you
my voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
Are you even listening?

You say your words--
You get up,
you leave,
you shut me off.

Maybe my approach
needs to change.
Maybe I need to let go of what I need.
Instead,
I need to listen.
I need to meet you where you are.
I need to understand your reality.

Now will you try to get mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my writing and sharing your thoughts with me.