Friday, March 9, 2012

Grammatical Issues



I am okay with children and their grammatical issues, but my tolerance for adults is rather low.

Here are some things that really get to me:

  • Good is an adjective; well is an adverb. You are not doing good unless you are feeding the homeless and doing good works.
  • Every day is two words unless it's used as an adjective. Open everyday is not correct! Everyday sale is correct.
  • Affect is a verb (almost always); effect is a noun.
  • ______ and I is not always correct--this only works in the nominative/subjective case. Objective case requires me. PBS Kids gets this wrong a lot.  
  • Bring and take. Yes, Virginia, there is a difference. Bring ____ to me. Take ____ away from me.




2 comments:

  1. I have students who always mix up told and asked. That one seems obvious to me, but I am with you about their mistakes being easier to take than the mistakes of my peers. We need a red pen that works in conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pen that works in conversation--how cool would that be? How annoying of a person would I become? Perhaps we should just envision our invisible red pens slashing at the air without a care...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my writing and sharing your thoughts with me.